If you are wondering when to replace your aging shingle, check for any of these warning signs:
- Curling shingles: Curling or clawing shingles are a result of either aging or roof being exposed to excessive heat. These shingles are highly susceptible to ice damage or wind uplift. Due to this shingles become rigid and break easily.
- Broken or missing shingles: Excessive wing and physical damage are the two common causes of broken or missing shingles. These places are ideal for water to get collected as it cannot shed properly and eventually can cause seepage and leaks.
- Missing granules and bare spots: Poorly placed downspouts, lack of eaves trough, or poorly designed valley drainage on a second storey can cause a waterfall effect that washes away granules over time. Bare spots and loss of granules also result from aging of the roof system. The shingles start to age and become hard and rigid when the protective granules get washed away. These shingles serve as the entry point for water.
- Damaged flashings: Flashing details tend to separate due to contraction and expansion as it causes fasteners to become loose and bottom-flashing flange to lift thus allowing water to enter.
- Buckling shingles: These are visible waved distortions that run vertically up the roof. They are highly susceptible to wind and ice damage and thus can be torn easily.
If you notice any of these signs, it is time to call a professional roof service provider. RoofMasters is a Chemical Roof and Pressure Cleaning business serving Palm Beach and Martin Counties. Roof Masters is the oldest Chem-Wash company in the Southeast. We are licensed and insured and have been in business since 1998. Call us at (561) 630-7826 for a free estimate.